From 1881 to present, Spartanburg county has made efforts to provide clean water to our area, while continuing to research ways to protect the most precious resource to man. At Spartanburg Pressure Washing Pros, we are always aware of those efforts and strive to be efficient and responsible with the water usage within our direct control.
Spartanburg Water History
Spartanburg Water History
- In 1881, Spartanburg’s first water works was chartered by the South Carolina Secretary of State as a privately held company, and the original water plant, the Chinquapin Filter Plant, was then established at 250 Whitney Road right here in Spartanburg.
- In 1899 Chinquapin Filter Plant was purchased by local businessmen and was registered as “Home Water Supply Company”.
- In 1907 The City of Spartanburg purchased the company, and the first Commissioners of Public Works were then elected in the spring of 1908.
- In 1926, R. B. Simms Filtration Plant and Reservoir #1 began their operation with a 6-million-gallon-per-day capacity, serving over 30,000 residents here in Spartanburg County.
- In 1929, The Spartanburg Metropolitan District (which later became known as the Spartanburg Sanitary Sewer District) was created by Act 556 of the S.C. General Assembly and was assigned to be managed by the Commission of Public Works of the City of Spartanburg.
- In 1931, Fairforest and Lawson Fork Wastewater Treatment Plants began official operations. The much larger capacity of the Fairforest plant was 3 million gallons per day (MGD), and the capacity of the Lawson Fork plant was 1.5 MGD at that time.
- In 1943, the Spartanburg Water Works office building moved to downtown Spartanburg.
- In 1960 a new dam creating Lake Bowen (Reservoir Number 2) was built to increase the water supply to the Simms Filtration Plant to meet our growing population and need for water in our area.
- In 1973 the Spartanburg Sanitary Sewer District Commission was established as the governing body of the District, initially comprised of eight commissioners, but was later reduced to seven by the State Supreme Court.
- In 1976, the Commission of Public Works authorized the creation of the H. Taylor Blalock Reservoir (Lake Blalock) to further ensure plenty of future water supplies for residence, schools and businesses in Spartanburg. It was dedicated in memory of H. Taylor Blalock in honor of his 29 years of service as Commissioner of public works.
- In 1999 The Lake Blalock Water Treatment Facility began its official operations.
- Between 2002-2007, The Fairforest plant's capacity was increased, consolidating all wastewater treatment and biosolids handling at one location and providing for the future elimination of the Lawson Fork plant.
- In 2008, for more efficient handling, The City of Spartanburg's sewer system was transferred to the Spartanburg Sanitary Sewer District.
- In 2013, Blalock Water Treatment Facility was renamed the Myles W. Whitlock Water Treatment Facility.
- In 2019: Fairforest Wastewater Treatment Facility is officially renamed the A. Manning Lynch Wastewater Treatment Facility in honor of his 28 years of service to the Spartanburg Sanitary Sewer District.